Masala Dosa! Savory rice crepes stuffed with peas and ricotta cheese make a nice meal for Meatless Monday! If you’ve eaten at a South Indian restaurant you’ve likely eaten these thin light crepes stuffed with potatoes. We love them at our home and at least once/ week I make them for a quick weeknight supper. One of our favorite ways to eat them is stuffed with a mixture of peas and paneer or ricotta cheese. The trick to making this a quick weeknight meal is to have the batter ready ahead of time. I usually make the masala dosa / rice crepe batter on the weekend and stick it into the fridge and use it through the week. It’s light, easy and my family loves it! You can serve it with my mint chutney or coconut chutney. My youngest just likes to smother some jelly over it! My favorite stuffing is this pea and ricotta stuffing and the sweet potato stuffing I used to stuff my samosas! You can make this recipe vegan by using tofu instead of panner.
You can make the batter using either my quick method or the longer soak method. You can also just purchase ready-made masala dosa batter at any Indian store. It costs about $2.99 for a large tub which can easily make about 12 dosas. I often buy the batter if I do not have the time to make it.
Picture guide to making dosa / rice crepe !
Check out what the rest of my Weekday Supper team will be bringing for the rest of the week and visit them to get some easy neat recipes !
- Monday – Sue/Sue’s Nutrition Buzz - Masala Dosa : Rice Crepes Stuffed With Ricotta Sweet Potatoes & Peas
- Tuesday – Tammi/Momma’s Meals - Easy Peasy Ham & Pasta
- Wednesday – Jamie/Mama.Mommy.Mom - Cilantro Lime Chicken with Avocado Corn Salsa
- Thursday – Laura/Small Wallet, Big Appetite - Shrimp with Garlic, Tomatoes, and Feta Cheese
- Friday – Cindy/Cindy’s Recipes and Writing - Freshly Pressed Waffle Sandwiches
Creamy Chia Pudding made with coconut milk and sweetened with dates makes a great post-operative snack. Here’s why: It fills you up with clean fiber and healing omega 3, both essential for post-operative recovery. Last Friday instead of enjoying ‘Family Movie Night’ I was in the ER, struggling with excruciating pain which eventually led to an appendectomy – hence the “pudding all week” diet. When you have surgery, the one thing you DO NOT want to do is to strain your bowel movement since that can complicate the stitches. However, most pain meds and the fact that you did have surgery tend to make you constipated, calling for more fiber. I am not a huge fan of Metamucil, Citruceal etc. and prefer natural fiber. After I got tired of steel-cut oats I turned to chia pudding and now am absolutely hooked on it. Super easy to make: Soak the chia seeds in milk, add some fruit and natural sugar and you have a creamy tapioca type pudding that is a pure pleasure to eat. Chia seeds swell up and become like soft tapioca beads and make a soft, moist pudding. You can add it to smoothies and bubble tea too. I tried chia pudding several ways but my favorite so far is to mix it with coconut milk and dates. Dates sweeten it enough that you don’t need sugar, but you can add a dribble of maple syrup if you want. My kids were eating my chia pudding! It was that yummy and knowing that I am pumping my system and theirs with healthy fiber and omega 3, sure doesn’t hurt. If you’re looking for ways to add more fiber to your diet try chia pudding! Like me, you’ll fall in love with it! Who says healthy can’t be tasty !! Best of all it’s a ‘No Cook’ raw pudding !
Chia seeds add a powerful punch to every serving. Just 1 tbsp. had 6 grams of fiber, three grams of protein and about 3 grams of omega 3. Omega 3 is super brain food and has so many health benefits. Impressive huh! It takes just 1 tbsp of chia seeds to make one serving of chia pudding. Coconut milk has healthy fat that is burned as fuel as soon as it is ingested. Dates are a powerhouse of iron and fiber. All in all, a healthy fiber packed Chia pudding that tastes yumm !
Saag Paneer ! Golden roasted ricotta cheese floating in a savory spinach sauce is a protein packed family favorite. Saag Paneer or Palak Paneer is a popular dish one might order at an Indian restuarant, but it is super easy to make at home too. My Sunday Supper team is doing a Cheese, Cake and Cheesecake theme ! What’s not to love about cheese ? I decided to make Saag Panner ! It’s a little different Mutter Paneer a creamy dish with peas and tomatoes which I make more often, another popular dish in my home. This protein packed dish is perfect for meatless Monday or that meal when you want to skip the meat, but still get your protein. I make my own paneer using ricotta cheese and it has a fresh taste that tastes great simmered in a spinach sauce. I also use coconut oil which gives it a rich but unique flavor ! After I started making Saag Panner at home my family stopped ordering it at the Indian restaurant !
Just a note about paneer !
You can get paneer at Indian stores but you can make your own fresh paneer using these methods. Let’s see, you can use this method with fresh milk like my friend Amy. You can also make panner by baking ricotta cheese in an oven like my recipe below. Third you can get really ” From Scratch” and make your own ricotta cheese like my friend Susan did before you turn the ricotta into paneer. Any of these methods would work for this dish, but let me tell you there is something very fresh and wholesome about home made panner. I rarely buy the store bought paneer any more. Look at my golden roasted ricotta paneer !
Nutrition Wise !
Paneer is loaded with protein and calcium and is healthy meat alternative for vegetarians. Spinach is a store house for many phyto-nutrients that have super health benefits and disease prevention properties. High in iron, vitamin A, C and K it can make your body alkaline which is good for optimum health. Combining paneer and spinach together gives you a complete protein.What is lacking in paneer can be found in spinach turning this dish into a healthy protein packed dish.
Don’t forget to check out all these savory cheese dishes, wonderful cakes and amazing cheesecakes!
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Cripsy Bits n Burnt Ends
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing our love of Cheese, Cakes AND Cheesecakes! Our weekly chat starts at 3:00 pm AKST ( 7:00 pm EST)!
Creamy skinny Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek yogurt & coconut oil makes a high protein calcium packed dish! It tastes so creamy and rich I can’t believe it’s actually a healthy Fettuccine Alfredo! My Sunday Supper team is going skinny this week!! I love that! Sssh don’t tell my family, but I love to skinnify dishes and most times they turn out great! My husband compensates by making sure my kids get their share of non skinnied dishes by buying the kids donuts and other foods once in a while, so we are quite balanced I should think. The nice thing about making a dish healthier is that it becomes a guilt free dish. I have wanted to make a skinny Fettuccine Alfredo sauce ever since my friend Cari mentioned that she makes one with Greek yogurt. I love Greek yogurt and use it a lot in my dishes & desserts. The idea of a creamy sauce that is actually guilt free grabbed my attention. We all get the craving for something rich and creamy right? If that dish becomes a little skinnier I can happily eat it! I swapped the cream for Chobani Greek yogurt, swapped the butter for coconut oil ( I am a huge fan of coconut oil which I consider a skinny fat ) added some fresh herbs and garlic and behold a creamy Fettuccine Alfredo was born that even my fussy youngest ate 2 bowls of. The fact that I used whole grain fettuccine only made it healthier dish & packed fiber into it. Check out my dish and don’t stop here. My Sunday supper team had come up with a great line up of skinny dishes that are fabulous!! Hope you can visit as many blogs as possible and grab some skinny recipes!
Greek yogurt is a great source of quality protein, calcium and probiotics. It actually has more calcium then regular yogurt and milk. Low fat cheese is also a great source of protein, especially for vegetarians. Wholegrain pasta adds a nice healthy dose of fiber to this dish. Just to compare my Fettuccine Alfredo has only 270 calories/ serving and 10 Gms of fat vs. regular Fettuccine Alfredo which has 417 calories and 17 Gms of fat. My healthy version also boasts a whopping 20 Gms of protein and 8 Gms of fiber / serving vs. 16 Gms of protein and 2 Gms of fiber in regular Fettuccine Alfredo. Need I say any more?
Just take a look at the skinny recipes we have here ! Visit them and grab some skinny recipes !
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!
- Pineapple Coconut Rice Pudding With Saffron #SundaySupper
- Light Chicken Pot Pies With A Cauliflower Crust #WeekdaySupper
- Hot & Sweet Green Mango Chutney #SundaySupper
- Kid Made 3 Ingredient Banana Oatmeal Raisin Cookie
- Mango Aqua Fresca With Chia Seeds #SundaySupper
- Masala Dosa ! Rice Crepes Stuffed With Peas & Ricotta #WeekdaySupper
- Healthy Chocolate Bars With Fruit Nuts & Coconut #SundaySupper
- Coconut Date Chia Pudding Packed With Fiber & Brain Food
- Tropical Super Fruit Guava Papaya Smoothie Loaded With Digestive Enzymes
- Tangy Lemon Rice With Fresh Mango & Roasted Cashew #SundaySupper
- How Is Your Diet Affecting Your Oral Health?
- Natural Foods That Heal Urinary Tract Infection
- Natural Foods That Ease & Heal A Sore Throat
- Easy 3 Day Detox Plan To Recharge & Rejuvenate Your System
- Nutrition To Boost Thyroid Function #ThyroidAwarenessMonth
- Anti- Inflammatory Foods That Help Arthritis
- Eat Your Way To Good Hair by @ClinicalPosters
- Boost Metabolism With White Tea Drink Infused With Berries & Lemon
- Fight Flu Naturally With Raw Garlic & Ways To Eat Raw Garlic
- Four Methods To Safely Thaw Frozen Food #FoodSafetyAwarenessMonth
- Nutrition, Supplements and Weight Loss
- Hot Apple Cider Vinegar Toddy That Boosts Metabolism & Keeps Pounds Away
- Playlist Power ! Working Out To Music Can Burn More Calories
- How To Snack Smart After Working Out & Healthy Snack Options #Fitness
- Banish Bloat With Foods & Natural Supplements
- CHIA Seeds : A Dieter's Dream & More
- Way Powerful Undenatured Whey Protein by @RenegadeDad
- Resveratrol : Benefits of Red Wine in a Pill
- 10 Minute Workouts Are The New BLACK !
- Feeling Sluggish ? Turn On Detox, Drop Pounds and Rejuvenate