Fresh grilled corn laced with aromatic spices and a dash of citrus are a welcome addition to any cook-out! What food is “more synonymous” with summer than freshly picked corn on the cob? With my #SundaySupper team indulging in a “labor day” cook-out theme I jumped right in! One of the reasons I love summer is cookouts and barbeques. Most of our summer dinners are outdoor grilled and the added bonus is that the cooking is done by the ‘grill master’ and that is definitely NOT me! I do prep the dishes though, as in marinate the meats and make the salads but the actual cooking on the grill is of course, the man of the house and it suits me just fine! Nice Summer break! Corn on the cob is always a popular dish in our home and I look for ways to spice up the corn. So here goes for a sure hit! Grill the corn and while it’s still smoking hot, dip a wedge of orange or lemon in olive oil and then dip it into a plate of aromatic spices and rub it into the corn. I used a spice mix of paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic salt and fresh pepper. You can be creative with your spice mix and customize it to your family tastes. My youngest doesn’t like much spice so I add a little brown sugar to hers to make it sweet and just a teeny bit hot. The more you rub the spice mix in, the stronger flavored it is! Cut into bite size pieces, stick a tooth pick in, serve with a mint yogurt dip for an amazing appetizer !
Nutrition Wise !
Yellow corn has the antioxidant carotenoids and high concentrations of lutein and zeaxanthin. Nutrients good for the eyes! It is also a good source of fiber. Extra Virgin Olive Oil ( EVOO) is loaded with heart healthy mono unsaturated fatty acids and is a valuable source of polyphenols . Spices are chockfull of antioxidants and add so much to any dish!
On the grill !
Spicy mix !
Rubbing it in !!
Makes a great appetizer ! Mint yogurt dip goes so well with the corn! Yummy !
Make sure you peek in and check out the fabulous ” Cookout Recipes by my fellow #SundaySupper bloggers ! There’s lots of yummy stuff here !
Labor Day Cookout Recipes:
Starters & Snacks
- Lobster Salad with Avocado, Corn and Tomatoes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Spread by Magnolia Days
- Toast Topper #8: Tomato Confit by What Smells So Good
- Honey BBQ Wings and Cool Ranch by Big Bears Wife
- Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumettes by Noshing with the Nolands
- Baked Shrimp and Pasta Caprese by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Korean chili by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Newfangled Cowtown White Chicken Chili by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Pork Butt (A How-To) by Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Kimchi Mom
- Soy Glazed Chicken Thighs by The Messy Baker Blog
- Stuffed Green Chili con Queso Cheeseburger Sliders by Damn Delicious
- Adana kebab by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Portabello Paninis by The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Bloody Mary Skirt Steak by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Tuna and Roasted Pepper Packets by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Mint Marinated Beef Kabobs with Garlic Sauce by Sustainable Dad
- Creamy Latin Style Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Portuguese Style Sliders by Daily Dish Recipes
- Aromatic Glazed Salmon by Happy Baking Days
- Pork sliders by Basic ‘N Delicious
- Foil Packet Chicken by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Salads & Sides
- Mom’s Savory Pork’n’Beans by Webicurean
- Ranch Potato Salad by My Catholic Kitchen
- Gluten Free Penne hot salad with basil, asparagus, cherry tomatoes fresh mozzarella and chicken with a mustard vinaigrette by Cooking Underwriter
- Southern Surprise Potato Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Marinated Ginger Chicken & Spinach Salad by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Roasted Potato & Corn Salad w/ Bacon by GirliChef
- Vegan Caprese Salad by Galactosemia in PDX
- Picnic Friendly Grilled Vegetable Salad by Mama Mommy Mom
- Smokin Hot Caribbean Spiced Corn-On-The-Cob by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Potato salad with Stilton and bacon by Tora’s Real Food
- Tomato Feta Orzo Salad by Family Foodie
- Lightened lemon pound cake by The Meltaways
- Root Beer Float Cupcakes by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cream Squares by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Fresh Mango Pie by La Cocina De Leslie
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten Free Lemon Blondies by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Blueberry Lemon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Baker Street
- Strawberry Pie + White Sangria by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Grilled Banana Splits by Diabetic Foodie
- Easy Desserts: Frozen Chocolate Bananas by Home Cooking Memories
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake by Comfy Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Whoopie Pies for a Holiday Cookout by In the Kitchen with KP
- Labor Day Cookout Food And Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite cookout recipes!