Loads of ripe mango and avocado piled on a tostada. Add some zippy corn black bean salsa and some lettuce to this and you have a healthy treat packed with fiber and antioxidants. Add some chipotle lime shrimp and you have a complete meal. My #SundaySupper team is celebrating Mexican Independence Day and we are all cooking Mexican ! I love Mexican food : beans, fresh herbs, chile, avocados… everything about it makes me smile ! I can eat Mexican everyday I think ! I have never made tostadas before so this was a first . A tostada is essentially a fried or toasted tortilla that is filled with goodies. One of the things that I really like about tostados, tacos, fajitas etc is the fact that there are so many different ways to rearrange the ingredients and customize it into different packages so that you can have something new and interesting each time while still enjoying your favorite flavors. My family created different tostadas and I have pictured them below. You can make your own tostadas by baking or frying a small tortilla or soft taco. Translating this into Indian cuisine you can fry or bake a small chapati or puri. Then, layer it up with stuff you want. One tip while fixing tostadas is to ‘NOT’ load it up the way we did ! Makes it a tad difficult to eat. If you do too, no worries ! Just be prepared to use your hands to sop up the goodies with a piece of tostada . I used my Black Bean and Corn Chipotle Salsa for this ensemble. We had such fun fixing and eating our tostadas. Hope you enjoy the pictures !
Nutrition Wise !
I consider tostadas a healthy high fiber treat if you use the right ingredients ! Bean are a Nutrition powerhouse packed with antioxidants and phytochemicals. I love beans so much I dedicated a post to them ! Avocados are bursting with healthy mono-unsaturated fats and omega 3 while mangoes are a store house for vitamins A, C and K. Add some lycopene friendly tomatoes to this and you have a healthy balance of nutrition. The shrimp give it a nice boost of protein, but even without that it’s a balanced snack/meal !
Setting up a Tostada Bar ! In our deck !
My husband can’t do avocados ! He’s allergic ! He loaded up on shrimp !
My youngest doesn’t like shrimp and made hers with lotsa mangoes ! Looks vegan !
My oldest and me had a little bit of everything !
My Sunday Supper Team has created a storm of colorful dishes to celebrate ” Mexican Fiesta ” Visit them and check out their recipes !
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup - Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip - Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup - Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar - Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise - Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips - The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe - Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables - Diabetic Foodie
- Mini Taco Salads - Big Bear’s Wife
La Comida (the food)
- Fiesta en tu Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) - The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper - Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa - Chattering Kitchen
- Carnitas - My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie - Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños - The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa - Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada - Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle - Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) - La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil - girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo - Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce - Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas - Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso - Momma’s Meals
- Baked Flautas - Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola - What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor - Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos - Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chile Relleno with Ranchero Sauce - The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas - Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos - Tora’s Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas - Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas - Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos - Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros - Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan - Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles - Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies - Kwistin’s Favorites
- Strawberry Empanadas - In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters - From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas - The Watering Mouth
- Beer Margaritas - That Skinny Chick can bake
- Hatch Chile Margarita - Shockingly Delicious
- Skinny & Spicy Watermelon Margaritas - I Run for Wine
- Refreshing Kiwi Lime Margarita - Mama Mommy Mom
- Wine Pairings for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper - ENOFYLZ
Join us around the family table this week for our#SundaySupper Mexican Fiesta - this is a party that you won’t want to miss. We hope to inspire you with these mouthwatering recipes from our talented contributors. We will be sharing them all day long and would love for you to share your favorite Mexican and Mexican-inspired recipes during our#SundaySupper live chat at 7pm (Eastern).