This post is dedicated to Katy Richards, a dear friend of mine who is a breast cancer survivor and a beautiful strong woman !
I am super excited to be participating in #SundaySupper this week. We are partnering with Chantal Cookware in their “Bake For A Cure ” event in support of October being ” Breast Cancer Awareness Month ” ! We are all baking pies and giving them to a cancer research facility or anyone who has been affected by cancer . The cause for ‘Breast Cancer” is very dear to my heart. My grandma had it and other people in my family have been affected by cancer. I am really excited to be baking this pie for Katy Richards who is a dear friend of mine. I ‘ve written more about her below. As an added bonus, I received a fabulous pie dish from Chantal Cookware to bake my pie. Moussaka is one of my favorite dishes. It’ s a Greek dish with eggplant and meat. I made a few changes to the usual recipe. I grilled the eggplant instead of frying it. It tastes even better and cuts down calories by half. I substituted beef with ground turkey and I spiced the turkey so it tasted like beef. I also added a generous helping of flax meal to the meat. I made the white sauce with coconut oil instead of butter and it was so creamy. Not that I have anything against butter once in a while, but I have been on a coconut oil spree lately and love using it in my cooking. I used cornflour instead of white flour to the white sauce to make it gluten-free and added some Greek yogurt to the sauce. The Greek yogurt gives it a rich taste and makes the sauce feel like it has cheese in it. A healthier version of moussaka, but so yummy ! Katie hasn’t eaten my pie yet, but I made some for the family mid-week and they loved it !!
Katy is a dear friend of mine who I met at my church, about 10 yrs ago. We were both pregnant with our youngest kids around the same time and have spent some time over the years at our’s kid’s activities. A little more than a year back when Katie was diagnosed with breast cancer, it was a shock, but she took it in her stride and started a beautiful blog journalizing snippets of her life in her journey through cancer. Through her blog and her life she has touched many people with her strength and laughter through everything. I am so proud to be her friend and am honored to bake this pie for her. You can check out her blog here !
My experience of baking with Chantal Cookware
This dish was a beautiful vibrant burgundy which is one of my favorite colors. It is also very sturdy and easy to clean. What I like most about it was the fact that I could slice the pie and scoop it out without it sticking to the dish. When you make a crust-less pie like I did you know how important that is. Best of all look how pretty it looked on my kitchen table half eaten and all. All Chantal’s dishes are so colorful. If you are interested, they will be running an online promotion during the #BakeForaCure event. The promotion includes a discount coupon code -> BAKE4CURE. The discount will be 20% OFF of ALL Chantal Pie dishes on www.chantal.com. The code must be entered at checkout to receive the pie dish discount. The coupon discount code is active October 16, 2012 through October 30, 2012 (exactly 2 weeks long). You can also keep up with the latest from Chantal on their website, twitter, facebo
ok, and Pinterest !
Nutrition Wise !
Eggplants are bursting with phytonutrients that act as antioxidants that help to reduce the number of free radicals in the body which damage cells and may contribute to certain diseases, including some cancers and heart diseases. Eggplants are also a good source of dietary fiber, which can help improve cardiovascular and digestive health. Adding flax which is one my favorite superfoods adds to the cancer protective feature and boosts the fiber. Lean turkey is a good source of protein and coconut oil adds some healthy fat and so much flavor !
These #SundaySupper Contributors, were provided with a beautiful Easy As Pie Dish by Chantal Cookware. They will be sharing their recipes with you this Sunday and also their thoughts on this Beautiful Pie Dish. Many are giving away their dish along with their pie to brighten someone’s day.
Check out these gorgeous Sunday Supper Recipes:
- Pecan Pie by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Nana’s 3LB Deep Dish Apple Pie by I Run For Wine
- Upside-down Apple Pie by Comfy Cuisine
- Coconut Pie by Basic N Delicious
- Italian Chicken Pie by Momma’s Meals
- German Apple Pie by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Funny Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato Pie with Gingersnap Crust by Webicurean
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie with Maple Whipped Cream by The Meltaways
- Lemon Meringue Pie by The Messy Baker Blog
- Ham and Spinach Quiche by Magnolia Days
- Pink Salmon Quiche by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel Topping by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Eggplant Moussaka With Greek Yogurt White Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie by Big Bears Wife
- Pumpkin Maple Pie by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Spiced Pumpkin Pie with a Cinnamon Roll Crust by Daily Dish Recipes
- Pasteis de Nata ~ Portuguese Custard Tart by Family Foodie
- Chocolate Pie by Diabetic Foodie
- Fancified Shepard’s Pie by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Pink Lady Pie by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Hazelnut Milk Chocolate Pie by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Flatbread with Grapes, Gruyere, Rosemary and Red Onions by Shockingly Delicious
- Salted Caramel Filled Chocolate Chip Cookie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Candy Bar Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Quiches by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Apple Cranberry Slab Pie by Generation Y Foodie
- Gratin of Potatoes, Onions & Leeks by An Appealing Plan
- Garlic rosemary yeast rolls by Gotta Get Baked
- Italian Tomato Tart by She likes ruffles, he likes truffles
- Impossible cheeseburger pie by In the Kitchen with KP
- 10 Grain Muffins by Mangiamo!
- Deep Dish Caramel Apple Pie by Mama Mommy Mom
- Date Crumb Pie by girlichef
- Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Doughnuts by What Smells So Good?
The Sunday Supper Team and Chantal Cookware, would be honored to have you join us for this special #BakeForACure event Around the Family Table this week.
Join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm(Eastern) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.