Saag Paneer ! Golden roasted ricotta cheese floating in a savory spinach sauce is a protein packed family favorite. Saag Paneer or Palak Paneer is a popular dish one might order at an Indian restuarant, but it is super easy to make at home too. My Sunday Supper team is doing a Cheese, Cake and Cheesecake theme ! What’s not to love about cheese ? I decided to make Saag Panner ! It’s a little different Mutter Paneer a creamy dish with peas and tomatoes which I make more often, another popular dish in my home. This protein packed dish is perfect for meatless Monday or that meal when you want to skip the meat, but still get your protein. I make my own paneer using ricotta cheese and it has a fresh taste that tastes great simmered in a spinach sauce. I also use coconut oil which gives it a rich but unique flavor ! After I started making Saag Panner at home my family stopped ordering it at the Indian restaurant 🙂 !
Just a note about paneer !
You can get paneer at Indian stores but you can make your own fresh paneer using these methods. Let’s see, you can use this method with fresh milk like my friend Amy. You can also make panner by baking ricotta cheese in an oven like my recipe below. Third you can get really ” From Scratch” and make your own ricotta cheese like my friend Susan did before you turn the ricotta into paneer. Any of these methods would work for this dish, but let me tell you there is something very fresh and wholesome about home made panner. I rarely buy the store bought paneer any more. Look at my golden roasted ricotta paneer !
Nutrition Wise !
Paneer is loaded with protein and calcium and is healthy meat alternative for vegetarians. Spinach is a store house for many phyto-nutrients that have super health benefits and disease prevention properties. High in iron, vitamin A, C and K it can make your body alkaline which is good for optimum health. Combining paneer and spinach together gives you a complete protein.What is lacking in paneer can be found in spinach turning this dish into a healthy protein packed dish.
Don’t forget to check out all these savory cheese dishes, wonderful cakes and amazing cheesecakes!
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Cripsy Bits n Burnt Ends
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing our love of Cheese, Cakes AND Cheesecakes! Our weekly chat starts at 3:00 pm AKST ( 7:00 pm EST)!