A-Z blogging challenge and am blogging letter H ! Note : Ahem !! I have 3 H’s in the title :). Hummus is a favorite dip in our home. I have to make a batch every week . Teamed with homemade pita chips it’s the perfect after school snack . I consider hummus a heart healthy dish since it had olive oil, chick peas and tahini paste. I wanted to boost the heart healthy benefits by adding some walnut meal to it. I tried it on my guinea pig family of course and it tasted great and blended right into the dip. They loved this tweaked version.
Nutrition Nuts and Bolts about the Key Ingredients:
Chick peas – Loaded with fiber and antioxidants , these lentils are low GI ( Glycemic index) and full of vegan protein.
Olive oil -delivers a good dose of heart healthy Mono Unsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFA) , Omega 3, powerful antioxidants and polyphenols. The extra virgin variety has the highest heart healthy benefits so use that.
Almond Milk – Good source of calcium and Vitamin D especially for those lactose intolerant folks. Added bonus is you get a good dose of vitamin E and it tastes quite delish.
Garlic – Powerful antioxidant with antibiotic & antiseptic properties. Has heart healthy benefits as well, especially when eaten raw. Hummus is a good way to mask the strong pungent odour and flavor of raw garlic.
Walnuts : A rich source of the omega-3 fat and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which improve artery function after a high fat meal , hence are a heart’s best friend! They are also high in fiber.
Sesame seeds : High in Vitamin E and calcium. They are the base of tahini paste.
Heart Healthy Hummus with Walnuts & Sesame Seeds
Heart healthy, high fiber and low GI make this a healthy dip with BIG taste!!!
- I can chick peas or 2 cups
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbs honey
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds or 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1/ 2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Soak walnuts and sesame seeds for 6-8 hrs to make them soft
- Rinse canned chick peas at least 3 times
- Blend chickpeas, walnuts , almond milk, honey,lemon, salt pepper, garlic and sesame seeds in a blender or food processor till smooth.
- Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with paprika
- Serve with veggies, pita chips or use as a sandwich spread
- To make home- made pita chips : cut up whole wheat pita bread into triangles and bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes.2.2http://www.suesnutritionbuzz.com/2012/04/11/heart-healthy-hummus-with-walnuts-sesame-seeds/
To read more posts in the A-Z challenge, click here ! Visit back tomorrow to read my post on the letter I !! Colorful post featuring Indian Spices ! My specialty