I am not a huge fan of rice, but since I did grow up on it, I probably know how to make it a 100 different ways. This recipe is one of my personal favorites. Light and delicately seasoned, yet rich and bursting with flavor it makes a delicious accompaniment to any meal. Mmmmm, the aroma will just fill up your senses . I have 2 versions: a healthy version where I use vegetable oil and the rich version where I use butter. The light rice is perfect for a weekday meal, while the rich version is elegant enough to grace a banquet. Prepare this simple, easy to make dish for a party and you will have all your guests dreaming they are eating at an elegant Persian or Middle Eastern Restaurant.
Nuts and Bolts about the key ingredients :
Rice: Use Basmati rice or any long grain rice. Basmati rice is good for diabetics because it has the lowest Glycemic Index of all kinds of rice.
Onions: Should be sautéed in oil/butter till semi crisp
Nuts : Walnuts, Pecans, Pine nuts, Cashews or Silvered Almonds work best. Sautéed in oil/butter they give the rice the nutty texture it needs.
Fruit : A combination of dark and golden raisins work well. If you want to add a tart taste to it, add some dried cranberries as well.
Cumin powder : A delicate spice that will add a subtle flavor to it.
This super easy festive rice can be made with oil ( light version) or with butter ( rich version). Nutrition facts are for light version.
- Basmati Rice : 2 cups
- Onion: I large
- Walnuts : 1 cup
- Raisins : 1 cup
- Cumin powder: I tsp
- Vegetable oil/ Butter : 1/2 cup
- Salt : 1 tsp or to taste
- Saute raw rice in oil/butter for 2 minutes.
- Cook raw rice with cumin powder. salt and water in the ratio of 1:2 – Rice :Water in rice cooker or stovetop till rice is just cooked.
- Cut Onions lengthwise and saute in oil/butter till onions turn dark and crisp.
- Saute nuts and fruit in oil/butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sauteed nuts, fruit and onions to cooked rice. Gentle stir in with a fork.
- Serve hot.