I am participating in #SundaySupper again and the theme is anything green. Decided to make green wontons. Creamy spicy avocado and chickpeas with a touch of ginger and lime stuffed into a wonton is GREEN DELISH ! Well, I wanted to make egg rolls at first, but couldn’t get the wrap at the store, so made wontons instead. I first tried this recipe when I wanted to help my family get a love for the lovely avocado. An avocado salad works well for me, but not for them. It had to be disguised and if there is anything my family will eat any time it’s homemade egg rolls and wontons. I usually stuff them with chickpeas and potatoes or spinach and feta. I substituted the potato for avocado and it worked like a charm. No one knew what they were eating till they had bitten into it and deemed it delish ! Healthy fat laden avocados are laden with fiber, potassium and vitamins. They also act as nutrient booster by helping the body to absorb more fat-soluble vitamins and utilize them better. Chick peas added to this recipe boost the fiber sky-high making this a high fiber dish. Added bonus chickpeas are bursting with antioxidants and phytochemicals. I used the whole wheat wonton wraps from whole foods which added to the fiber in this dish, but if you want to make your own wonton wraps check out this recipe. It is super easy and simple.You can bake or fry wantons. We fried them this time but have tried the baked version and it’s quite good. I like to keep the avocado slightly chunky so I mix it gently into the wonton mixture to prevent it from mashing up too much. Team it together with a zesty mint yogurt dip and it is the perfect #SundaySupper appetizer !! My family likes snacking on homemade wontons any day of the week.
This spicy high fiber healthy wanton served with tangy mint dip will soon become a family favorite and a party favorite.
- Avocado – 2 firm.
- Onion – 1/2 ( finely chopped)
- Chickpea – 1 cup
- Cilantro – 2 tbsp ( finely chopped)
- lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece ( finely grated)
- Chili flakes – 1 tsp ( optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Wanton wraps or egg roll wraps
- For dip
- Mint – 1 cup
- Cilantro – 1/2 cup
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt – 2 -3 tbsp ( omit yogurt for a vegan dip)
- Cut avocado into half, peel and chop into small pieces.
- Drain and wash chickpeas and add to chopped avocado.
- Add finely chopped onion, cilantro and grated ginger to above mixture.
- Add lemon juice. salt and chili flakes and mix everything with a fork.
- Place a heaped tsp of mixture in center of wanton wrap and fold the ends together and seal.
- Deep fry in hot oil or bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes till golden brown.
- Blend together mint leaves, cilantro, cumin and salt till fine. Add water if necessary. Gently stir yogurt into mint mixture.
- Serve with hot wantons.