Day three of the A-Z Challenge and I am still going strong . I am blogging the letter C and writing about one of my favorite spices curicumin aka turmeric ! The power of this ancient yellow spice is becoming a trend. From Alziemrs to cancers curicumin seems to be the cure. I grew up on this yellow vibrant spice and find it very easy to incorporate it into my cooking . It has been touted for its high antioxidant power and is a powerful anti inflammatory and antiseptic. It has been found beneficial in the treatment of arthritis and pancreatic cancer.
Some ways to use curicumin/ turmeric
Use liberally in curries. It can be used in most Thai and Indian dishes. Check out my curicumin loaded lentil chili.
Use in egg salad, potato salad , chicken salad and Tuna salad. It adds flavor.
Use in soups, chili , and sauces. It adds flavor and a rich color to the dish.
You can also take the pill form, but using it in a dish is so much yummier.
I am sharing with you one my favorite recipes loaded with curicumin: Spicy Curried Chickpeas.
This dish is simple to make , high in fiber, heart healthy and Vegan. Eat with pita bread or Indian Nan or scoop over rice for a simply spicy relish meal. You can also use it a healthy filling for a wrap. Be creative !!
High fiber, heart healthy, vegan dish loaded with curlicue in
- 1 cup raw chickpeas or 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2tsps ginger pasted or finely grated
- 1tsp curiumin/turmeric
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 1tsp chili powder or chili flakes
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak raw chickpeas for 6-8hrs. If using canned, rinse at least 3 times.
- Sauté onion in olive oil till transparent.
- Add grated ginger, curicumin,chili and cumin and sauté for 2minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté until oil floats on top
- Add chickpeas and cook till soft ( about 30mts for raw & 15 mts for canned).
- Add garam masala, salt and cilantro.
- Serve hot with over rice or with bread or Indian naan. You can also use as a filling for wraps.