My Sunday Supper group is doing a special edition of recipes from Cristina Ferrare ‘s ” Big Bowl of Love ” I am so excited to be participating since I am a great fan of the lovely Cristina. I flipped through her website to look for a recipe and absolutely fell in love with the “Roasted Beet with Arugula and Goat Cheese Salad” . The minute I saw it I knew that was the one !! I love beets and the idea of roasting them which according to Cristina makes them caramelize just sent my senses spinning. Teaming the beets with wild arugula and goat cheese make it a meal in itself. Adding the nuts to it gave it a nice crunchy texture. Added bonus , it is a heart healthy, high fiber salad courtesy of the beets and the nuts! I love the balsamic syrup dressing that Cristina uses which she also gave a recipe for. Well I made it and it was so delish, there were no leftovers I will definitely be making it again since it’s become a family favorite. Even my kids who don’t usually like beets ate it all up !!
Some Nutrition Nuts and Bolts about the key Ingredients:
Beets : Beets are a “cardiovascular health” friendly root vegetable. Certain unique pigment antioxidants present in root have found to offer protection against coronary artery disease and stroke, lower cholesterol levels in the body and have anti-aging effects. They are also high in vitamin C and are an excellent source of folate.
Arugula : A low-calorie and one of the superior salad greens, Arugula is high in vitamin A, C and K. Young, tender leaves feature sweet, nutty, flavor with less peppery taste than strong spicy flavored mature greens.
Goat Cheese : Apart from the fact that it had calcium, goat cheese is lower in fat and calories than cheese made from cow’s milk. It is also higher in protein than cheese made from cow’s milk. This means goat cheese is the better choice for staying fit and thin.
Roasted Beet with Wild Arugula & Goat Cheese Salad
This healthy Roasted Beet Salad teamed with Wild Arugula and Goat Cheese & Nuts is a High Fiber Heart Healthy treat !!! Recipe adapted from Cristina Ferrare
- 4 lbs beets
- 6 cups baby or wild arugula
- 1/2 cup pignoli nuts
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp reduced balsamic vinegar
- Roast nuts in a frying pan till they turn golden brown
- Rub 2 tsp olive oil on beets and roast at 350 degrees for an hour till tender
- Remove from oven, peel under running water, cool and slice into thin slices
- Toss the arugula in kosher salt with 3-4 tbsp of dressing
- Arrange 4-6 beets on a salad plate and toss some wild arugula over them.
- Make grape size balls with the goat cheese
- Place one ball of goat cheese on each beet
- Toss some nuts over the salad
- Drizzle 1 tsp of balsamic dressing and 1 tsp of olive oil over each serving of salad.
- Enjoy a cool healthy nutrient packed salad !!
- To make Balsamic Glaze
- Pour one bottle of balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Lower heat to medium-high and continue to boil until the vinegar starts to thicken and forms a syrup like consistency. about 15-20 mts. Don't thicken too much or it may become like goop. Test it by inserting a wooden spoon into the syrup. If mixture coats the spoon, it is ready to remove from heat. It's quite concentrated so a little is all you need. Will keep in the fridge for 2 months.2.6http://www.suesnutritionbuzz.com/2012/05/20/heart-healthy-roasted-beet-with-wild-arugula-goat-cheese-salad-sundaysupper/
My fellow foodie bloggers are also creating some awesome creations from Cristina Ferrare’s ” Big Bowl of Love” Take a peek below and please give them a visit
- Tomato Mozzarella Tower with Shallot Bacon Dressing, Chicken Marsala with Angel Hair Pasta and melon Medley with Lemon Sorbet The Primlani Kitchen
- Roasted Beet Wild Arugula with Goat Cheese Salad Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Juanita’s Cocina
- Sea Bass with Soy Glaze and Cucumber Salsa Beetles Kitchen
- Pesto Pasta Katherine Martinelli
- Chicken Picatta Over Pasta Family Foodie
- Grilled Orange-Ginger Chicken Breasts Supper for a Steal
- Seafood Risotto Magnolia Days
- Fall Off The Bone Chicken Thighs Lovely Pantry
- Risotto with Fresh Peas and Asparagus Big Bears Wife
- Salad Dressing BG Garden
- Strawberry Shortcake German Foodie
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies Mrs Mama Hen
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries The Messy Baker
- Rice Pudding Rambling Notebook
- Strawberry Shortcake That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake Baker Street
- Brownies Rich and Chocolaty Daily Dish Recipes
Recipes will be perfectly paired with wine chosen by Wine Every Day.