This week my Sunday Supper team has a ‘celebrate your heritage’ theme. Awesome!! Recipe bloggers from all over the world are sharing their favorite recipes from their culture. I have sooo many Indian dishes that I love, it was a difficult choice – but I finally decided to make Rasmalai, a creamy cheese dessert soaking in a milk-nut syrup. So yummy!! Here’s my own spin for a super-healthy version! I used ricotta cheese. I also used coconut milk instead of the traditional condensed milk or the half and half that is normally used for rasmalai. Coconut milk has healthy fat which makes a rich creamy syrup that can rival condensed milk. I love coconut milk and use it in a lot of my recipes. I even wrote a post about it earlier. I added some almond paste to make the syrup even creamier, and substituted sugar with a mix of honey and brown sugar. That is one of the reasons my baked ricotta turned out a golden brown instead of white (as rasamalai usually does!) Top off with chopped pistachio and you’re in dessert heaven. Oh by the way, I also added some rose essence for that delish aroma !!.
Rasmalai : Ricotta in Sweet Coconut Milk With Pistachio
- 1 16 oz tub ricotta cheese
- 3 cups full fat coconut milk
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup powdered almonds or 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pistachio
- 1/ 2 tsp rose essence ( optional)
- Mix ricotta with 4 tbsp brown sugar and blend well. Use a fork to mix well.
- line the sweet ricotta in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 50 – 60 minutes
- Let cool and cut into squares
- Boil coconut milk with 2 tbsp brown sugar and honey for 20-30 minutes on low flame till it thickens
- Add 1/2 cup almond powder or powder 1 cup almonds in a coffee grinder and add to mixture
- Add rose essence to the syrup if needed.
- Pour coconut syrup over the ricotta
- Coarsely chop up pistachio and sprinkle liberally over the dessert !
- Enjoy warm or cold. Let it sit in the fridge to allow the ricotta to soak up the delish coconut rose syrup !!2.0
My Sunday Supper team has cooked up a storm with mouth-watering dishes from every continent. Be sure to check them out
- Scotch Eggs and Brotchen Rolls – The Meltaways
- Apple Kuchen – Mrs. Mama Hen
- Spaghetti Carbonara – Katherine Martinelli
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash – Make Dinner Easy
- Potato and Spinach Knishes – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- German Potato Salad – Magnolia Days
- Sausage and Broccoli with Orecchiette – Daddy Knows Less
- Chicken Enchiladas Suizas – The Weekend Gourmet
- Strawberry Tiramisu – Chocolate Moosey
- Chocoflan – Juanita’s Cocina
- Egg Liqueur Cake – The German Foodie
- Rasmalai (Ricotta in Sweet Coconut Milk with Almonds and Pistachio) – Sue’s Nutrition Blog
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad – In the Kitchen With KP
- Rouladen – Midlife Road Trip
- Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken and Rum Raising Cupcakes with Maple Frosting – What Smells So Good?
- Keftikas (Turkish Meat and Leek Patties) – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Croque Monsieur with a Béchamel sauce – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Momma’s Meat Pie with Poutine Sauce – Momma’s Meals
- Polish Rustic Plum Tart – Comfy Cuisine
- Drop Scones (Scottish Pancakes) – Cositas Bonitas
- Jamaican Cornmeal Pudding – The Lovely Pantry
- Borscht Shooters – Cookistry
- Shepard’s Pie – Big Bear’s Wife
- Parsnip Cakes – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Roasted Curried Vegetables – Hot Curries & Cold Beer
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in a Chorizo Sauce – Family Foodie
- Kalbi Steak Kimchi Grilled Cheese – Damn Delicious
- Wine pairings for all the recipes – ENOFYLZ
No url attribute defined!